Friday, October 3, 2008

Pollyanna and Grumplestilskin

I have had a roller coaster of emotions today- and not in the hormonal sense. I had a great day at work. My kids were cool, I had good lessons, I have nice coworkers, I got my work done and the sun started shining. This is a good day.

And then I got into my car. Ever since I've been back from Africa, I've had a problem with my car. Don't get me wrong, my mini is still as loved as ever, it's just that I somehow moved my seat. You know how it can take some time to get that perfect seat arrangement in your car? Well, I've lost mine and I can't seem to find it. For weeks now I've tried various changes and it's just getting worse. My right leg is cramping up, my knee is hurting, I have to wear my wrist brace to drive and I have cramps in my neck that are causing me to not sleep as well.

So just entering my car causes a sense of dread. And then I hit the traffic. You know those days when it seems that you are behind every person going 20 on the freeway or texting and getting distracted - that was today. I was behind a woman who made a left hand turn going 10 miles an hour and never sped up after the turn was complete. Sadly, we were headed toward the same freeway entrance, so I couldn't pass her or anything. I grumbled at her and took the lane next to her on the freeway entrance.

I was then barely cut off. The guy was going a normal speed and changed lanes in front of me with a decent amount of space, but it meant that he was one metered car ahead of me and I felt like he had already made his choice, so I was mad again.

Everyone was ridiculously slow on the freeway and Beach. I was stopped behind some cars at a green light and when they finally went forward, the light turned yellow and I had to wait through another round of lights. Ahhh!!! I don't know why I was in such a rush, except that each minute in the car was another minute of my legs cramping and fitting uncomfortably in my seat.

I was grumbling and being angry at everyone and I realized how quickly I could go from Pollyanna to Grumplestilskin. I realize that by calling myself 'Grumplestilskin' I am revealing that I am still a Pollyanna, but seriously, I even said, "Crap"!

I cancelled any plans that I had tonight that required me driving anywhere. And I'm not going to get in my car for as long as possible. I'm going to try to get a massage tomorrow, thanks to my birthday present gift certificate, and eventually I'm sure I'll get my seat arranged properly. I'll stop hating the world by the morning, but I tell ya', I'm almost ready to start biking to work...I just need to get a bike and some will power.

No comments: