Saturday, July 26, 2008

Final prepping and things I'll miss

I am leaving on Tuesday! For Uganda! I'm really having mixed emotions about the whole thing. I'm glad that I'm going, but I've been so focused on the getting ready to go that I haven't allowed myself to think about being there. I'm not just getting on a plane, I'm actually going to Africa. This year I've checked off several things on my life goals list including: learn how a trumpet works, go to New York, go to Carnegie hall, go to a Broadway play, see a student go from failing to succeeding, get a drastically different haircut, and now I can check off GO TO AFRICA!!
I went to REI the other day to get this stuff called Jungle Juice. Apparantly it's this chemical that is so strong that when bugs land on it, they die! I have to wear gloves as I spray it on my clothes. Once it dries it won't be dangerous for me, but malaria carrying mosquitos beware. What I loved the most about this trip was the awesome service I received at REI. When I was wandering around looking for jungle juice, a man came up and asked if I needed help. He knew exactly what kind of stuff I would need for Uganda and had some great suggestions about what would be good for my face and my clothes, as far as bug protection goes.
Nance over in shoes was also great. "Where are you going?" She asked. "Uganda," I replied and unphased she went on to say, "Ok, here are the shoes that are popular in Africa. These are great for walking on land and through streams." What? She knew what would work best for Africa! I don't care if she was just making it up, because I now own a great pair of hiking shoes that actually fit my arches and look like Mary Janes.
I'm now sitting at home after Danny and Katybeth's wedding watching "Father of the Bride" and waiting for my sprayed clothes to dry while I pack. I don't do very well by myself when I'm potentially maudlin. I cried today when I said goodbye to Pam. I won't see her for a month. I'm going to miss my family and my friends so much. I'm going to miss my church family. I'm going to miss ice cream and string cheese. I'm really going to miss my couch. I'm going to miss project runway. I'm going to miss warm showers.
BUT, I get to go to Africa. I get to help kids gain math skills. I get to apply teaching strategies I've learned to kids who've never gone to school. I get to teach them how to play SET - the best game in the world. I get to talk with Martha Wright and hang out with her family. I get to see the sun set in Africa. I'll see animals, creatures, smell smells and hear sounds that I've never heard before. I'll see the Nile. This will be great and I'll love it. Please pray for me for the next few days as I deal with leaving. I've already cried three times today and I'm sure more tears will come, but I'll be doing great in a few days - when I'm in AFRICA!

No comments: