Friday, July 18, 2008

Eleven

That's the number of misquito bites I currently have and I'm not even in Uganda. I'm writing this from Chinook, MT in Laura's kitchen. We've traveled almost 1,500 miles to hang out with Laura and her family and we're having a great time. We've been driving almost non-stop and some of the kids are doing great. Natalie (the youngest) is the only child I know who hates the car from the beginning. She screams. I'm traveling in the other vehicle ...he he. We've gone to Glacier National Park and seen the Kellam Ranch here in Chinook. I am in awe.
I've always thought of myself as a girl who could be both the city and country girl. I'm not afraid of dirt or animals (except the ones you should be afraid of). I don't mind working hard or being outside. This week I've discovered that living in the country would be harder than I would think. I do love the idea of knowing your neighbors and small town community. I love the houses and the house prices (Laura paid 1/5 of what I did for twice the square footage and a yard). I love being so close to the beauty of nature. I even love the simplicity and mellowness.
I was overwhelmed by the vastness of the space. It's truly "Big Sky" country here. Two days ago we saw the Kellam Ranch and I looked at all of the space and the grass and the cows and the hay and I thought, "I'd never know where to begin."
Yesterday we drove from Glacier to Chinook, which takes about 6 hours. Most of that was just nature and a two lane road called "the 2" (4 for the 2). I almost got a clausterphobic feel from all of the openness. I was actually longing for some enclosed city scape. How strange. But then it started raining and I saw a full rainbow - from beginning to end a complete arc. It was so beautiful. Then it doubled. After that, the full moon rose over the Bear Paw mountain range and glowed a bright orange against the deep blue sky. The sun was setting on the opposite horizon and purple and orange traced the cumulus clouds. I think I've said the word 'beautiful' more times in that day than any other day of my life.
I think it's like how I view God sometimes. At times I think that I know God and I love to be in His presence. I get pretty comfortable with Him and I forget just how big He is. But when I'm surrounded by something that reminds me of His vastness, His Glory, His power - I get a proper sense of dread. I think it's what I should feel when I think of the fear of God. But it's also bookended by an amazing picture of His grace, His love, His creativity. It's His greatness and dreadfulness that make the amazing things of beauty possible.
Well, tomorrow we're off to Yellowstone. This also means that I will be leaving Laura behind. I miss having her around, just a phone call and a quick drive away. I miss sitting on her red couch and watching stupid movies together. But I see more and more each time I visit here, why she had to come home and why she will never move back. This is where she belongs and I'm glad to have such a beautiful place that this city girl can visit so she can remember her country girl roots.

2 comments:

Bryan Wislocki said...

Hope you have a safe trip!

Jo Dee Preston said...

"I can only imagine...will I stand in your presence, or to my knees will I fall? Will I sing for you Jesus, or be able to speak at all? I can only imagine!" This is one of the songs on my mp3 that remind me of how big He is when I get feeling a little too comfortable!
My memories of Montana are of when I was 10 and we visited my second cousin whose husband took people on hunting trips. They had horses. My cousin and I thought we were in heaven riding bareback on those horses--we cared not that they were just simple pack horses! AH!
I hope that the Montana Marathon (when-ever I get around to it) doesn't let me down in my hopes of recapturing that country feeling for this city girl!