Friday, May 30, 2008

Call the CDC! The Who? The CDC...I've been shot!

Do you know how long I've been holding on to that joke? Since fifth grade and I found out about WHO. Anyway, I had to get my shots for Uganda today. It felt like my first real commitment to going. I mean, it was announced in the bulletin at church and I told all of my coworkers, but it was when I was telling the doctor and nurses about my trip that made it feel real - that and the $608 I laid down to cover the cost.

Before I went, I researched all of the shots that I might need based on recommendations from people who've gone before, the Uganda handbook, and the CDC's website. I found out a lot. First, almost every shot you could get was recommended for me. Second, Yellow Fever shots are required to re-enter the US once you've been to Uganda so I better not lose my card. Third, polio and typhoid still occur - especially in rural Africa. I tallied up my potential cost for all of my shots to be $745 - most of which was not covered by insurance.

When I spoke with the Dr. today, I was expecting to just have a consultation and then schedule my shots for another day. She was excited to hear that I was going to Uganda and told me about her trip to Kenya she was planning for the summer. She then went through the checklist of vaccines. I was up on my tetanus shot so I didn't have to get that one ($ in my pocket -thanks). I began my hep-A and hep-B series about 10 years ago, but never got the remaining shots. She said that I could continue the series where I left off so I was two shots into a five shot series ($160 saved on that). Yellow Fever shots were required as well as meningitis, she listed off polio, typhoid, and rabies. I was told I didn't need to get the rabies shots. Here was the conversation about typhoid and polio:

Dr. Meyers: Well, it's up to you.

Me: What do you think I should do?

Dr. Meyers: What part of Uganda are you going to?

Me: Karamoja, it's kind of remote... [at this point I was interrupted by her shaking head]

Dr. Meyers: OK, you're getting those, it's not worth the risk.

I love that it was no longer up to me. But I agree, $200 is worth not getting polio or being the next Typhoid Mary.
Side note: How many families have frequent conversations about the Typhoid epidemic in America? So often, in fact, that Typhoid Mary becomes a well used euphemism for anyone who is sick and gives it to someone else? Just mine...that's what I thought.

So then she proceeds to talk about Malaria medication. Well, this is just classic me. I'm the kind of person who can't remember the name of the movie I want to see when I'm buying a ticket at the counter. I fold under pressure. I also can't remember words really well because I just read the first letter and fake my way through the rest. I remembered that there were three different kinds of preventative meds. The first gave you sunburns and nausea. The second (it began with an L) gave people anxiety, paranoia, nightmares, and delusions. Ummm...do I need help in the crazy department...no thanks. The third (the M one) didn't have many side effects, but was expensive. More money less crazy and vomit please. Thankfully, Dr. Meyers felt the same way and understood my “I don’t want the one that begins with an L.” "I'll never prescribe it!" She said.

They proceeded to give me all six of my shots at once today. The nurse was really good at her job, but two of the shots hurt. They had to be injected into my tricep and they also burned a bit. She did my left arm first and I was really calm and didn't wince or anything. But as she made her way to my right, I could feel my arm tense. "You'll only make it hurt worse," I kept telling myself, but willing yourself to relax seldom works. It hurt.
She gave me band-aids, but not cartoon characters and although I asked her if I'd get a lollipop if I didn't cry and she said yes, I am still without candy. Liar! She did suggest that I not drink water. When I asked her why, she said, "Because it would just pour out all of the holes in your arms." She was really sweet.

So despite the fact that I feel a little achy and I almost had to ask for help to change into my pajamas (I did cry then), I think that I'll be fine. I'm really excited to have made this commitment. It makes the whole trip seem more real.

Just do me a favor. When you see me in the next couple of days avoid hitting me in the arm.

No comments: