Monday, May 19, 2008

My crazy summer!

I have a tendancy to overbook. I fill each moment of every day with some plans. I usually like this kind of life. I am reminded by the sane people around me that I need to take time to rest and recouperate, etc. and I am glad for them. I will totally ignore them when it comes to this summer.

School gets out on the 19th (a Thursday). I will be on summer vacation from the 20th through the 24th - 5 glorious days. On the 25th of June, I will fly in an airplane with 19 teenagers and 3 other adults to Washington D.C. It's the first time I've been on a D.C. trip with kids and I cannot wait. It should be pretty wonderful with tons of supervision and other people planning the details. I'm just there to make sure the great kids don't kill each other. Also, my dear friend Laura (who lives in Montana), will happen to be in Washington, D.C. at the same time. We'll get to see eachother and that makes me happy.

I will fly home on the 29th of June (it was supposed to be on the 28th, my birthday, but plans changed and now I'm not going to be with family on my birthday and I'll miss another week of church!). I should arrive late in the evening.

I will get the 30th - July 11th off. I plan to use that time having birthday parties, picnics, recording for VBS, seeing Wicked, and packing. On the 12th, I'll be driving with my parents, brothers, Erin, and the kids to visit the aforementioned Laura in Montana. Yes, I'm driving with my whole immediate family to a state far far away. During the trip we may also get to visit Opa and his new wife in Yellowstone (my first time going). We are taking two vehicles and a trailer. We'll be camping all the way. This may sound like torture to some of you, but that's only if you've never been on one of my mom's trips. She can make every trip educational, amazingly fun, and so well planned that she can tell you the time of every stop to the minute (+/- 3 minutes). Seriously, she's the best!

We should come home on the 25th of July, a Friday, just in time to go to Danny and Katybeth's wedding on the 26th. I plan to go to church on the 27th. On the 28th, I plan to leave for Uganda until the 22nd of August. I'm going there to teach in the Karamoja region. I'm really excited about the trip and I only have moments of fear. I just learned that I will be there when the Goodheart sisters (at least Laura and Karen Goodheart) will be in Uganda. We overlap about 12 days!

When I come home, I have the weekend to recover and then I have superweek at school. Superweek is the week before classes start where teachers can take all sorts of classes and seminars for free on various topics. I was invited to actually speak at one seminar, but I decided that I was a little busy this summer to plan that too. Yes, I actually turned something down! I'm growing.

So, this is my crazy summer. You know, as busy as it sounds, I'll actually probably have more rest than usual. Think about it, I'll be far away from my usual activities and friends. I'll be spending much of my time either in a car, at a campsite, or in a remote African village (with internet access). Except for the jet lag, I should be very rested this summer. I'll keep you all updated. And I'll appreciate your prayers for safety and health during my Africa trip (and I suppose all the other ones too!)

No comments: