Saturday, December 20, 2008

My roommate and I are really funny.

I've written about this before. Julie and I are stinkin' hilarious. I realized this again as we were frantically Christmas shopping today. We are really entertaining shoppers. Seriously, while we shop, people have said, "I wish that I had as much fun as you girls do." Here are some examples of how we have fun shopping:

1) While wandering through Lighthouse (a Christian bookstore) we picked up cheesy christian romance novels and read the backs of them with mocking inflections and laughed at the stupidest ones - and then purchased them. People were looking at us from across the store and laughing with us - not at us. My favorites were "The Falconer" where in one sentence we find out about the main character's nicknames, previous profession, height, build, personality, and goals as an abolitionist in England (that is one powerful first sentence) and one about a girl born into a powerful governor's family and a pirate princess! So great!

2) We sang along to the same Christmas songs even when those songs weren't playing. For example, one song was playing and Julie remembered the song "Last Christmas" so we sang that while an entirely different song was playing. It was impressive that we stayed in key.

3) We went to K-mart because it was close by and then immediately decided to go to Target. We silently understood that we are Target snobs.

4) While at Target we pushed Twilight on people including a woman who works there. It seems that wherever I go I tell people that they should read the book. Julie and I agreed that we should get some sort of commission from the author.

5) We tried to help a woman find baby Christmas dresses in infant sizes. We were unsuccessful, but I think the woman was encouraged by having others agree that it was strange to not have any there.

6) While at Tilly's, we tried to convince the one male working there that he should read Twilight, thus having more to talk about with his female coworkers.

7) We paid for dinner with quarters. (Not entirely, but there were a lot of them).

8) We went to several Game Stops. Nothing fun about this except that we were reminded of Julie's mom who questioned the existence of such stores, "They have stores where they only sell games? Do they close down after Christmas?" After we left, I said to Julie, "What a nice store. It's too bad that they are only open seasonally." To which Julie replied, "Well, games aren't that big a business." Somehow, Julie's mom plays a big part in many of our jokes.

9) The entire time we shop, there is a running dialogue. It's like shopping in an episode of Gilmore Girls or "His Girl, Friday".

I feel like I have not adequately expressed how much fun we have while shopping, but seriously, you should join us. We know how to get it done and have a great time doing it.

2 comments:

Erin Dempsey said...

I knew I sent you the perfect flair. =-)

Anonymous said...

I will gladly shop with you anytime. Want to come over here? There's some great shopping here. :)