Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas in a small town in a big city

I love my church. There are many reasons why, but tonight was a good reflection of how great my church is. We had our annual church play tonight and it was everything our church play should be: kids sang songs, people played instruments, costumes were made and edited at the last minute, lines were recited (some with feeling others with fear), and the little kids sang "Away in a Manger".

I love to watch Christmas movies and especially ones about small towns. I've always wanted to live in a small town. I am drawn to the idea of living in a place where everyone knows you and cares about you. Where everyone pitches in to take care of each other. Where we're not afraid to discipline each other's children or take action to help when help is needed. Where people can be a little kooky, but they are loved for it. I feel like this is what our church offers.

I get nervous every year about the Christmas play. I hope that the kids have a good time, that the message of the birth of Christ comes through, that the costumes will work out. I am always sure that the previous year's was better and that people will tell me so. When I get to a semi-meltdown state (usually the Saturday before), my dad always reassures me with this conversation, "What is our mantra?" he asks. "Everyone will love it no matter what. They don't care if it's bad," I reply in monotone. This year my dad reminded me, "It's not that they don't care, it's that they are going to love to see those kids up on the stage and that's what they'll get."

You see, in our small town of Faith Presbyterian, each kid on that stage was known and loved by the people in the audience. So when Josh says his lines with exaggerated enunciation and heartfelt emotion, we all smile with joy over the fact that this dear boy has a place in life where he can flourish and be quirky. And when our multitude of the heavenly host (all four of them) say "Glory to God in the highest" in a flat monotone, we all fill with pride over the fact that these little ones (first graders) knew their lines and came onstage at the right time. Dakota can pull on Eddie's lamb ear and say that she wants to sing "This Little Light of Mine" instead of "Away in a Manger" and we are reminded of a time when people thought she wouldn't walk or speak.

It's the fact that these kids are loved for who they are and that they are really cherished that makes the play so much fun to watch. But you know what my favorite part is (besides the fact that it's over successfully)? I love to see these kids say boldly that Christ is the Messiah. They've been in the plays enough times to know that if they have the lines that tell the truth of the Messiah they have the most important lines and they say them loudly and clearly. "The Messiah has come!" they shout with joy. Or "He will come to bring peace between Men and God," Josh whispers with the heaviness of such truth.

And then, as if that wasn't enough, we have the orchestra made up of members who play all year long and some who only play once a year. And then we sing along - loudly and with joy. And afterward we have food prepared by many different hands and candy distributed to the kids (but if you make a pouty face and ask nicely, sometimes the big kids get a bag too).

It's on this day that I feel like I live in a small town in a Christmas movie. There is no shortage of love on this day and I am so thankful that I get to be a part of such a fun and worshipful time. I am overwhelmed by the gifts God has lavished on me and I am thankful for the church that helps me see it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it is a wonderful life and even if it's nota white christmas maybe Christmas can be saved by such sweet things as this and a--------- --- ---------! thanks for such a beautiful heart.