Friday, December 12, 2008

My Parents are Awesome!

You know how things that you are surrounded by every day just start to fade into the background? I have a neighbor upstairs whose pipe we can hear as he drains his shower. I don't pay any attention to it anymore. Yet when I had guests over, I was suddenly aware of how loud it was. Even now I have a fan blowing on my recently flooded kitchen wall and I have to remind myself that it's there.

This is how it is with my parents. They have been amazing for so long that I have grown numb to how insanely great they are. Not that I take them for granted, no I am thankful for them every day. It's just that I no longer take a step back and think of how strange they are. My mother has severe pain in her body from various ailments. Her back aches, her hip goes out of joint, her arthritis and gout flair up at inconvenient times, and she's an insomniac. My mother just put on a nine course meal for 40 or so people. She carefully crafted dishes like an amazing mozzarella and roasted red bell pepper rollade, shredded chicken on a bed of harvest cous cous and cream, slow roasted lamb on a bed of creamed root vegetables, and pumpkin rolls garnished with a pumpkin caramel glaze. She did this with an oven that barely works and a full time job (good thing she has insomnia!).

My father supports my mother in her crazy food ventures. He samples and edits flavors, he diligently shops for just the right ingredients, he made all of the place cards, led the carolling afterward, took photos, encouraged conversations, set-up, cleaned-up, served the food, and helped forged the bonds between the hodgepodge of kids that are in the youth group.

I need to take a step back and look at these two people. Who does this? What a legacy I have in my life of sacrificial love and using your talents to their fullest. Now, I know that I have a tendency to go over the top like my mom and I hope that I can balance so that insomnia doesn't rule over me, but if I did half the things my parents have done I would be a good servant indeed. They give of their time and energy freely and joyfully - and they're just plain good at it.

So as I dream of the leftovers and take off my heals to rest for the evening, I'll think of my mom and dad and then get back on my feet and make cookies until 2am - because that's what we Dempsey's do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks