Thursday, September 25, 2008

Anne of Green Gables

When I was twelve I had a life changing experience. I remember very well being at my Aunt Chris' house and she asked if I had seen the movie, "Anne of Green Gables". I said I had not and she laughed and said, "You are Anne." We went to her cool attic room/movie room and watched the whole thing as a family. I was in love and amazed. There was someone else in the world that truly understood me. I devoured the books and every other thing by LM Montgomery. I joined Anne clubs (we even had a picnic with three legged races and tea). I had Anne parties. I went to PEI and visited "Avonlea". I went to a play in LA (Romeo and Juliet) to see Meagan Follows (the actress who played Anne) and met her afterward.

Now to say I love Anne is an understatement. There was something so wonderful about reading this silly and flawed character that I could relate to so well. After a time I wanted to read the books again and when I did, I realized that the story touched me in a new way. That is, I grew up with Anne. Anne and I are still the same at each stage of our lives. I gain a new perspective of her life at my stage that I didn't have when I was twelve, and I see that although I have changed, I am still Anne.

When I grade, I often watch a grading movie. I will select a movie that I know so well I don't have to actually watch it so that I can grade while I watch. Tonight I selected "Anne of Avonlea" and I realize again how much I can relate to her. I don't teach English and Literature (much to my father's dismay), but I do tend to be flowery in my delivery and I have a great desire to be liked by everyone. I still write my own stories, direct plays, teach students, hope and dream to extremes, gain thrills from the beauty of nature, make dumb mistakes that end in my own embarrassment, get dramatic, emotionally respond to situations, and love my home.

I have such a deep, sentimental connection to this story that brings me back to my childhood and to who I truly wish to be. I sometimes think that I try too hard to be who I think I should be and then I see this movie and I see what I should be. I should be free and bold, make mistakes, dream, have courage, and speak my mind. It is a bolster to my soul to watch this movie and I'm looking forward to getting back to my grading now that I've taken my 15 minute break. If you haven't seen the movie or read the books, I highly recommend them and I would gladly loan you anything I have connected to them - except my second edition Blue Castle...that is mine alone.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Anne, too! I like stories from her later years the best these days. Walter Blythe is one of my all time favorite fictional heroes. I still get emotional when I read about the World War I era stories. Some of the best lines come from Montgomery's work. You are truly my "kindred spirit" and "of the race that knows Joseph." Have you read the short story collection, TALES OF CORRESPONDENCE? "The Letters" is my VERY, VERY FAVORITE short story ever written by Montgomery. I think. Well, at least today.

BTW, The movies are not even close to being as good as the book! Especially that cheesy one they did once Anne and Gilbert got married. Ugh! They could have done so much more with the stories!

Um, I guess that makes us both Montgomery freaks, hmm?

Anonymous said...

Plum puffs won't minister to a mind diseased, and a world that has crumbled into pieces!