Thursday, June 12, 2008

My cousin rocks!

School is coming to a close and the kids feel it. The teachers feel it. Even the janitors feel it. We all sense summer coming and count down to it like the opening sequence of High School Musical 2 (or HSM 2 if you're as cool as my friends and I are). Yet school is not over, we still have finals and projects and graduation - commencement, if you're picky.
So my duty is to help the kids stay focused, continue learning, and not scream at them in the process. To do this, I called in reinforcements - my cousin Kenneth, the Rubik's cube champion. I told my kids we would have a special guest on Thursday, named Mr. Brandon. Here are some of the conversations that ensued:

Roberta: "Is this a real guest or is it like the time that you 'went to Hawaii' and we had that Pythagorean chick teach us?"
Me: "No, no, he's real."

Bob: "So is his first name Brandon?"
Me: "No, Brandon is his last name."
Bob: "I'm confused, what's his first name?"
Me: "His name is Kenneth Brandon."
Bob: "Whoa, he has two first names, cool!"
Bobby: "Wait, if he's your cousin, why isn't his last name Dempsey?"
Me: "You see his mother and my mother are sisters."
Bobby: "I don't get it."
Me: "See, my mother once had a different last name from Dempsey and his mother had that same last name before she married Mr. Brandon. They each got married and then changed their names."
Roberta: "Oh, yeah, girls used to have to change their last names!"

Yes, these are the bright minds of the future that I teach...Well, they loved having Mr. Brandon come visit (even though we had to explain his name a couple more times). He explained to them about the number of positions on a cube and relating it to how long it would take to you to spin the cube once every second and reach every position (1.5 trillion years, in case you were wondering). Then he wowed them all by solving the cube (in one class he did it in 25 seconds). They were amazed. One girl even said, "I can't do that, I can't even tie my shoes!" Aren't they great! She's such a funny girl and we all laughed.

The kids all thought it was really cool and some of my Geometry kids brought out their cubes after he left and solved it. One did so in under a minute.
So my cousin took time off work, drove up to my school and taught in 3 of my classes from 9:20 until 1:00 with various breaks. He's so cool.

No comments: