Saturday, June 30, 2012

Oh, Man, I Am a Nerd!

  I admit to being a nerd. I understand and embrace many nerdy things. I have no shame in this because I feel like I balance that nerdiness with good social skills. I can interact with people about all sorts of things that don't involve time travel or fantastical landscapes. But as I stepped back from my conversation with my friends at dinner last night, I realized just how nerdy we all are. Here are some snippets of things my friends and I said:

1) Rick Riordin's next series is coming out and this time it's all about NORSE MYTHOLOGY! I'm so excited!
2) So let's prioritize the rest of our comic con schedule. If you had to choose between the Hobbit panel and Merlin, which would you choose?
3) Oh, man, I messed up my Mobius strip scarf!
4) Oh, I see, I needed to twist it 360 degrees not 180 degrees. Because a 360 degree rotation in the round is like a 180 rotation with paper!
5) All of my favorite YouTubers are just down the street in Anaheim and I can't go see them!
6) You have Lois Lane hair!
7) Which Lois Lane?
8) The best one, Teri Hatcher!
9) Did you get me a VanGogh exploding Tardis Dr. Who shirt for my birthday? Awesome!
10) What'd you get Cathy, a GMAT study book? Oh, you did!
11) Let's practice the math section!
12) I think I need to knit Adam Baldwin a scarf to match the cunning hat and give it to him at the Firefly panel!
13) I'm sure the Dr. Who panel will be on Sunday and the Hobbit will probably be on Saturday, so there are no conflicts.
14) And then the Simon and Schuster panel is that night and I think they might be giving away free SWAG - like maybe even new books!!
15) That would be a good shirt to wear to comic con, except it's not nerdy enough.
16) I have to pick out what books I'm going to bring to comic con...maybe I'll get some e-books from the library to reduce the weight I'm carrying.

So we were at a comic con planning party, which increases the probability of nerdy comments being said, but I am a nerd. I was rooted in nerdiness as a child and that nerdiness was allowed to grow slowly and quietly until it bloomed and became complete in me. I am a nerd.

No comments: