Saturday, November 8, 2008

Why malaria is a bad thing for a hypochondriac to get.

I'm sure that I'm going to die of some horrible disease some day. I joke about this fear (that is greatly fed by my mother), but it really is there. Most people have a strange ache and think, "What did I do yesterday that would make me ache like this?" I have a strange ache and think, "Oh, man, I'm sure I have Leukemia!" I brush it aside casually as a stupid overreaction, but inside I'm still sure that I have Leukemia.

So yesterday, on the way to school, I started to feel dizzy. Not just light headed, but world is spinning a bit kind of dizzy. I had eaten my normal breakfast, slept about 6 hours, so the normal reasons for dizziness weren't there. When I got to school, I didn't feel right. I felt nauseous and dizzy and tired. I went to the school office to do my morning routine when one of my coworkers asked about how I was doing. When I explained my dizziness, he said, "Ah, it's just the malaria." and I panicked. Did my malaria come back? How would I get it checked since the last test took too long to get back to me.

This was how I felt the day I was diagnosed with malaria: just a bit off, a little dizzy, a little nauseous. Maybe I do have it again! I decided that I should keep my blood sugar up and hydrate myself, so I grabbed a big stick Popsicle from the freezer and continued on to my class (any excuse for ice cream - in fact I think that's why I'm a hypochondriac. Who can deny a sick person ice cream?!).

By the end of the day, I felt just fine. I worked late and came home as normal. I'm sure I was just dizzy from low blood sugar. It wouldn't be the first time. I just think it's funny that my hypochondria now has even more ammunition...I just better not tell my mother because she'll just make me think that I really could be sick. Trust me, I'm not. I slept just fine last night for over 8 hours and I ate a full breakfast today. I certainly couldn't have done that when I had malaria. Trust me, I'm fine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's so tempting to harangue you about getting sleep. But I won't do that here. I'll just reassure you that you are, indeed, fine. Perfectly healthy. In fact, you should always grab a popsicle when you feel bad. Isn't sugar the cure for everything? Mary Poppins even sings about it (sorta). It must be true.