Sunday, August 17, 2008

My African Hitchhiker

As some of you may have heard, I have Malaria. Funny, but I am about to quote what many of my friends who've had malaria have said, "It's not that bad."
I was feeling a bit off on Friday (the most common complaint of early onset) so I went to the clinic to 'get poked'. Elizabeth (an amazing Kenyan who works there) did the job and as I waited for her to look at my slide, I wandered around the clinic with my friend, Gayle (a Dr. from America). I finally made the loop back and saw Elizabeth in the lab. I felt a little foolish about getting tested because I felt so good. She looked up as I came to the window and asked, "I'm negative right?" And she shook her head no.
I choked back a few tears and asked the next question that should come to any Dempsey's mind, "Can I see it?" She described to me what the malaria parasite looked like and I looked at my blood cells in the microscope. Sure enough, there was a half circled parasite hiding in my red blood cell. A mild case is a count of 1-2 and mine was of 2-3.
I went back to work and felt ok, but decided to rest after lunch and my first dose of Artenam. I had a rough night with little sleep, lots of aches, and strange dreams - I mean stranger than my normal dreams. So strange that they cannot even be explained. I was able to talk to my parents, Julie, and my brother Dann (he called when I started feeling really bad) and they were all encouraging. I was able to listen to my ipod and actually get some sleep.
I felt a little off yesterday, but only needed naps. Today, I feel just right. God chose not to keep this parasite from me, but He certainly chose to give me grace during my sickness. I didn't throw up (my least favorite symptom) and I feel great now. Someone in our group suggested that maybe I felt okay during the whole thing because if you start so high energy when it knocks you down to normal level, no one can tell. That was sweet - and probably true.
For the first time, I didn't work with all of the Wright children in one day, but we made up for lost time.
I leave tomorrow for Jinja, the source of the Nile. We will spend one night there and then drive to Kampala. We will spend one more night there and then fly out of Entebbe Wednesday night. I will hopefully arrive home on Thursday. My parents want to have some people over to their house on Thursday night, so if you're in the area and in the mood to see a million pictures of Africa, come on by.
Please keep me in your prayers, I can absolutely feel them. I feel like in my small time here I have been effective and I'm so glad for this time. I'll blog more details when I have more time and more depedable internet.

6 comments:

brendas mom said...

thanks,and we look forward to your return! love you tons!

brendas mom said...

pastor dann has been on the road to lake victoria and waxed rhapsodic about the "tunnel of trees" you see on that road. we have no near example cuz we live in a desert. i love you and want to touch your face.
love dad

brendas mom said...

Hi Brenda, we can hardly wait for Thursday! We love you soooooo much and hope that you will be better soon. Our prayers are with you. Grandma and Grandpa R.

Unknown said...

Hi Brenda, Sorry to hear about your African Hitchhiker, but just think of the story you will have to tell back at school. How many teacher will have had Malaria? You can teach the statistics of getting Malaria. Glad to hear you are feeling better, and can't wait to see you on Thursday. Have a safe trip, and I will keep praying for you. Take care, Love Uncle Dave

Lori said...

Hi Brenda,
I love reading your blog!! Many prayers are coming your way, can't wait to see you back in the states.

Love,
Lori Hermann

Jo Dee Preston said...

Great Blogs! I won't be able to join you on Thursday as I have a running event with some of the GTD kids and perhpas even Steve Osborne. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures; the illustrations to your blogs.
I feel honored and blessed to have a "sister" in the field.
Running,
Jo Dee Heb 12:1b-2a